- Preheat oven to medium heat (around 165C fanforced or 325F)
- Prepare cake tins - original recipe is for 2 x 7" sandwich tins well greased
- (I use 1 x deeper larger round tin or 1 x rectangular deep loaf tin)
- Mum used to put old butter wrappers in the pans (- I use baking parchment)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
- 2 oz margarine (I shudder of course I use butter around 60g)
- 1 teaspoon Bicarb of Soda
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 egg
- 3 ripe bananas
Cream the butter and sugar, until pale and lightly fluffy. Add the beaten egg and then the well mashed bananas. Add sifted flour. Dissolve the bicarb of soda in warm milk then add to the rest of the mixture.
Bake for around 20 minutes for two tins. Sandwich together when cold with a cream filling. Sprinkle with sifted icing sugar on top.
(I bake for about 35 minutes in one tin. I serve it as it comes!)
This family recipe has been used here in Australia since at least the 1950s. I don't know how much older than that it may be.