Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mum's cakeshop PIKELET recipe

Mum had a few recipes in her well worn and stained handwritten cookbook. Mostly these days I search the net, record my fav links or swap recipes on Twitter.

This is the recipe I grew up with for PIKELETS and they were always light and fluffy (AND they keep a little bit longer, fresher, than other recipes I have tried - still best to make them same day of course though).

Below is the traditional sweet version: I've also halved the sugar and added a little white pepper then served (instead of a blini) with smoked salmon (and lemon cream/mascarpone).

  • Sift 1 cup SR flour, pinch of salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Mix together.
  • To 1 egg well beaten add 1/2 cup milk
  • To 2 tablespoons boiling water add 1 dessertspoon butter then 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda.
  • Add the boiling water mixture to the egg/milk mixture
  • Add liquids to the flour/sugar mixture. Mix until smooth.
  • Heat pan, grease lightly, turn when bubbling!

Mum told me she got the recipe from a lady who worked in a cakeshop (circa 1950s)!

No comments:

Post a Comment