This is the recipe I grew up with for PIKELETS and they were always light and fluffy (AND they keep a little bit longer, fresher, than other recipes I have tried - still best to make them same day of course though).
Below is the traditional sweet version: I've also halved the sugar and added a little white pepper then served (instead of a blini) with smoked salmon (and lemon cream/mascarpone).
- Sift 1 cup SR flour, pinch of salt and 1/2 cup sugar. Mix together.
- To 1 egg well beaten add 1/2 cup milk
- To 2 tablespoons boiling water add 1 dessertspoon butter then 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the boiling water mixture to the egg/milk mixture
- Add liquids to the flour/sugar mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Heat pan, grease lightly, turn when bubbling!
Mum told me she got the recipe from a lady who worked in a cakeshop (circa 1950s)!